Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

I met my husband in 2002 and was married in 2003. After teaching three years of junior high I went on mat-leave (2004) and never looked back, ok, so maybe on really bad days I looked backed and thought hmmm....

Thursday, May 04, 2006

White Bread

(This is the best white bread recipe ever, I try not to make it too often because it dissapears too quickly--it does freeze well, when there's some left)

2 cups warm water
2/3 cups white sugar (this sounds like a lot to me, so I usually reduce the amount to 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 vegetable oil (I usually use canola)
6 cups flour

In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home